Preview of Coming Attractions

Over the next several months, I will be traveling across the country in search of cat stories, visiting innovative cat rescues and shelters, interviewing eccentric cat lovers, leading vets and behaviorists and so much more. To view my travel schedule and learn more about my Cat Behaviorist business, please visit http://www.thecatbehaviorist.com/ . If I will be in your area and you feel you have some interesting cat stories to share, please don't hesistate to contact me via my website.

Sunday, January 21, 2007

Jellicle Cats



As a teenager, I was precisely the sort of maudlin theatre-geek who ran around belting my woeful, emotive rendition of “Memory All alone in the moonlight, I can smile at the old days……” And though in the late eighties, I was privy to plenty of professional musical theatre extravaganzas, I have never actually attended a performance of Andre Lloyd Webber’s “Cats! The Musical”—but I am going tonight to witness its 25th anniversary tour passing through Nashville.

When I announced my intentions to my husband, he smirked, “Oh—is it the original cast?” He disrespectfully declined to attend and made me promise to stop prancing around the house (my delighted daughters in tow) crooning, “Jellicle songs for Jellicle cats, Jellicle songs for jellicle cats” at least until I could confirm whatever the hell “jellicle” means.

I hastened to remind him that at its heart the whole “Jellicle cat” phenomena is really T.S. Eliot, a poet with whom I shared a profound one-sided relationship in college.

He scoffed, but April was excited to accompany me, so I hastened to Wikipedia where I learned that according to T.S. Eliot a Jellicle cat is a dear little black and white cat. Although Andrew Lloyd extended its meaning to include all cats of any color or purrsuation. Thus we continued to annoy my spouse with our repetitive refrain.

I have long suspected that (no matter its faults) Cats! The Musical significantly contributed to the ascendancy of the cat as America’s most popular pet. Thus, I can no longer resist the allure of “MacAvity, MacAvity, there’s no one like MacAvity, he’s broken every human law, he breaks the law of gravity….”

To be continued....

No comments: